Plasthall, Rubbhall | History of Rubb Fabric Covered Buildings
Whether it’s called a plasthall, rubbhall or fabric covered building, it originated in Norway.
The Rubb name has it roots back to 1903 when Haldor Haldorsen developed Norway’s first combustion engine that became known as the “Rubb engine” (Rubb Motor). He developed this marine engine in a small village on the west coast of Norway called Rubbestadneset. Hence the first four letters of this village name became synonymous with the engine. Formally the name of the factory that was to employ over 400 people became knows as Wichmann Motorfabrikk AS. The Wichmann name was an old German family name in the Haldorsen lineage. Even so, to this day the name ‘RUBB’ is associated with marine engines in Norway.
Haldor Haldorsen’s son, Finn Haldorsen continued this name tradition by establishing Rubb Hall AS in 1966. This company started making tarpaulins and bags from PVC fabric and in 1968 made the first ‘RUBB Building’. This was the first fabric clad building manufactured in Norway. He carried the ‘RUBB’ name tradition forward. The association with the sea was kept with the adoption of Neptune’s trident beside the logo. This was to show the industrial association with the sea and it also was intended as a symbol of strength. Neptune was The Roman God for water and the sea. This fits well with the Rubb marine tradition and the fact that Rubb is protection against the elements, and in particular water. The planet Neptune was named after the Roman God, as its deep blue gas clouds gave early astronomers the impression of great oceans. This is represented by the blue colour in the Rubb logo. The old Rubb (or Wichmann) logo had a similar association with the sea horse in its logo (see below).
Contact us to learn more about the quality engineering and support that is the foundation of all Rubb Products.